16 Temmuz 2013 Salı

Osman Erden Shares His Police Violence Story

“The attitude of political power on police authorities brings along the violence,” said Osman Erden, assistant professor at MSGSÜ who has been subjected to police violence and detained on Saturday during a TMMOB press statement in downtown Istanbul.


490-254


Osman Erden, assistant professor of history at Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University who has been subjected to police violence and detained on Saturday during a TMMOB press statement in downtown Istanbul, shared his story with bianet.


Released on early Sunday morning, Erden acknowledged the efforts of MSGSÜ President Yalçın Karadağ, Sociology Department Dean Ali Akay and volunteer advocated of Istanbul Bar Association.


“However,” Erden continued, “some people are not as lucky as I am.”



Rubber bullets followed by police assault


Erden said he was in Taksim Square to attend a press statement by TMMOB - Turkey’s main union for architect and engineers chambers.


“However, police attacks began even before I got there. Scorpions [a police vehicle] were roaming. Rubber bullets hit me first. I found refuge at a friend’s cafe. When I took the street again, I was attacked by 10-15 policemen. Those wounds and swellings in my lips and head were caused by those policemen.”


As police took me to police detention van, Erden said, I shouted my name and teaching position at MSGSÜ. “I was assaulted on the way to the police van, too. But no assaults took place after the detention.”


“In the van, I saw a construction worker who was originally from Uzbekistan. He had nothing to do with protests. I don’t know why he was detained. They didn’t assault him. They were going to deport him.”


“I was taken to Taksim Ilk Yardim Hospital. But I wasn’t admitted there, maybe because it was full. I was then taken to Kasımpaşa Police Station and Haseki Hospital. They gave my medical report there.”


Erden told bianet that MSGSÜ President and Sociology Department Dead was waiting for him at the police station.


“I wouldn’t be out so quickly if it weren’t for the president and dean. Volunteers advocates from Istanbul Bar Association were also of great help. I was lucky, but some people are not as lucky as I am,”



“Police treated fairly under detention”


Erden said the following regarding the overall police violence during Gezi Resistance:


“from the start, Gezi Park protests aim no violence in essence. The attitude of political power on police authorities brings along the violence. It is not fair to blame police authorities for everything, only some among those are inclined to violence.”


“Under detention, 3 police officers accompanied me and treated fairly. So did the police chief at Kasımpaşa Station. Probably it was about the support I received from the university president and department dean. The police chief invited me to his room and we talked about art while sipping our teas.”


Erden also had a health check-up at a private clinic after his release. He will file a lawsuit to Istanbul Crisis Desk regarding his detention after compiling a series of documents including various images and videos of his detention along with medical records. (BK/BM)





* Photo credit: radikal.com.tr

http://bianet.org/english/education/148495-osman-erden-shares-his-police-violence-story

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder