12 Temmuz 2013 Cuma

Taksim Solidarity Members Freed

200-112


An Istanbul court freed 12 member from Taksim Solidarity who have been charged with prison sentences for “founding a crime organization”.


Taksim Solidarity members  Akif Burak Atlar, Mücella Yapıcı, Ali Çerkezoğlu, Ahmet Kamil Tekerek, Beyza Metin, Ender Imrek, Mehmet Sabri Orcan, Süleyman Solmaz, Haluk Ağabeyoğlu, Arda Mustafa Aytaç, Aral Demircan ve Erdem Ateş have been charged with prison sentences for “founding a crime organization” (Turkish Penal Code Article 220), violating public demonstration law (Law 2911) and assaulting police officers.


Towards 11:20 pm local time last night, Istanbul 38th Peace Criminal Court freed all the suspects from Taksim Solidarity.



“We were detained as soon as the park was reopened”


“We are used to late night raids, we are used to late night legislations, we even learned about bulldozers in Gezi Park on the late night of May 27,” Mücella Yapıcı testified to court.


“They said the park was reopened on July 6. After hearing that, my daughter and I headed to the park to join our friends. I was wondering how its landscape changed. We went there and we were met by a TOMA. They asked us where we were going. Why? Because it was ‘unlawful’. What is unlawful about going to a park? They started pushing us. My friends protected me for the sake of my health. They were detained because of me.


“They continued pushing us into a circle. They pulled my daughter’s hair to detain her. I don’t let go off my kid. And I didn’t there either. They detained me too.”


Communist Party of Turkey Istanbul Chairperson Kamil Tekerek, on the other hand, said he went to the park as he heard of its reopening. “I was then confronted by the police,” he said.
“We are not afraid of anything. It is an honor to be here,” Haluk Ağabeyoğlu said. “10 million people took the streets. It is the government who is afraid and committing crimes. I would like to believe that your honor can rule a decision according to public conscious as a  man of law.”


Ender Imrek said the following: “People were detained unlawfully. I told police to detain me if they would detain Mücella Yapıcı. This is how they put me into the police vehicle. I am standing before you [your honor] charged with “founding a crime organization”.


“I have attended some press statements of Taksim Solidarity and some pro-environmental protests. These crime organization or related charges are due to the atmosphere that the government is creating.”


Beyza Metin stated that Taksim Solidarity is constituted by labor and professional organizations. “If we are a crime organization, why did PM meet us?” she said.


“I heard that the park was reopened and I was detained on the way,” Aral Demircan said.


Arda Mustafa Aytaç also said he heard about the park’s reopening when he was taking a walk nearby. “We decided to go there and read some. The entry was forbidden again as we were heading there. People were dispersing, we got stuck in the middle of fleeing people.”


Finally, Ali Çerkezoğlu denied the possibility that he might have founded a crime organization as he was the secretary of a medicines’ chamber. “What I am doing is about my profession and it is all my responsibility.” (AS/BM)


http://bianet.org/english/environment/148447-taksim-solidarity-members-freed

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder